If the police do not respond as they should or they refuse to acknowledge your relationship or behave in other inappropriate ways, you can:

  • ask to speak to the officer in charge. If necessary, call the station while the police are still at your home;
  • contact the Inner City Legal Centre for information about making a complaint about police conduct;
  • make a complaint to the Police Customer Assistance Unit by calling 1800 622 571; or
  • contact the NSW Ombudsman’s Office on (02) 9286 1000 or 1800 451 524. One of the core functions of the NSW Ombudsman is to oversee complaints about government agencies including the NSW Police Force.